10. DISCUSSION (Diskusi)
1) Purpose (Tujuan )
To present (at least) two points of view about an issue.
(Mengetengahkan paling sedikit 2 (dua) pendapat yang berbeda tentang suatu masalah.
2) Generic Structure (Struktur Umum)
- Arguments for and against (argumen menerima dan menolak)
- Conclusion or recommendation
3) Linguistic Features (Ciri-ciri Kebahasaan)
- General nouns untuk menyatakan kategori, misalnya uniforms, alcohol, dsb,
- Relating verbs untuk memberi informasi tentang isu yang didiskusikan, misalnya smoking is harmful, dsb.
- Thinking dan feeling verbs untuk mengungkapkan pandangan pribadi penulis, misalnya feel, believe, hope, dsb.
|Isue||Genetic research has produced both exciting and frightening possibilities. Scientists are now able to create new forms of life in the laboratory due to the development of gene splicing.|
|Argument for||On the one hand, the ability to create life in the laboratory could greatly benefit mankind. For example, because it is very expensive to obtain insulin from natural sources, scientists have eveloped a method to manufacture it inexpensively in the laboratory.Another beneficial application of gene splicing is in an agriculture. Scientists foresee the day when new plants will be developed using nitrogen from the air instead of from fertilizer. Therefore food production could be increased. In addition, entirely new plants could be developed to feed the world’s hungry people.|
|Argument against||Not everyone is excited about gene splicing, however. Some people feel that it could have terrible consequences. A laboratory accident, for example, might cause an epidemic of unknown disease that could wipe out humanity.|
|Conclusion||As a result of this controversy, the government has made rules to control genetic experiments. While some members of the scientific community feel that these rules are too strict, many other people feel that they are still not strict enough.|