4. NEWS ITEM (Berita)
1) Purpose (Tujuan )
To inform readers, listeners or viewers about events of the day which are considered newsworthy or important.
(Memberitakan kepada pembaca, pendengar atau penonton tentang peristiwa/ kejadian pada hari itu yang dipandang layak diberitakan atau penting)
2) Generic Structure (Struktur Umum)
- Newsworthy event (Kejadian inti)
- Background event (Latar belakangkejadian): menjelaskan kejadian, orang yang terlibat, tempat kejadian, dsb.
- § Sources (Sumber informasi): komentar saksi kejadian, pendapat para ahli, dsb.
3) Linguistic Features (Ciri-ciri Kebahasaan)
- Informasi singkat tertuang dalam headline (judul berita).
- Action verbs (kata kerja tindakan)
- Saying verbs, misalnya: say, tell, dsb.
- Adverbs (kata keterangan: waktu, tempat, atau cara), misalnya yesterday, the most beautiful bride in the world, badly injured, dsb.
Man Jailed for Striking RI Maid
|Newsworthy event (Kejadian inti)||SINGAPORE: A supervisor was jailed for two months for repeatedly striking his Indonesian maid on the head and back with a television remote control, news reports said on Thursday.|
|Background event||Muhamad Shafiq Woon Abdullah admitted in a Singapore court he physically abused the woman on several occasions between June and October 2002, The Straits Times said.The magistrate’s court heard that Shafiq, 31, began striking Winarti, 22, about a month after she started working for him.He hit her on the head with the TV set’s remote control because he was unhappy with her work. On one occasion, he punched her on the back after accusing her of daydreaming.|
|Source||S.S. Dhillon, Shafiq’s lawyer, said his client lost his “better senses” when he saw his daughter’s face covered as she lay in bed.He said his client thought the maid had put the child in danger.|